Introduction to Watercolour
Please note that this course is now full and will not be accepting any more registrations.
Learn the basics of watercolour in a relaxing and supportive environment. No previous painting experience required, just your enthusiasm and willingness to learn!
Watercolour is a challenging medium, but it is also very versatile. Understanding how water behaves, how to control it and knowing when to stop is key in achieving clean and crisp results. This knowledge, which you will put into practice throughout the course, will set you on the right path providing you with endless possibilities to explore and develop your own style and approach.
- Appreciate the benefits of sketching to develop a value pattern and establish a plan for painting
- Learn about paints, brushes and preparing watercolour paper for painting
- Develop techniques for creating washes, glazing, textures, working wet-on-dry and wet-on-wet
- Understand colour theory and mixing to get the most from a limited palette
- Explore design elements and principles to create strong compositions
- Incorporate methods to preserve whites and achieve deep rich darks
Each class will focus on a different topic and goal, providing you with the knowledge and know-how to control this beautiful medium. Six 3-hour classes will include instructor-led lessons and demonstrations with weekly handouts so you can observe rather than taking notes, ample studio time to practice with feedback and guidance, and constructive critique sessions.
If you are new to watercolours, this course will set you on the right path. On the other hand, if you have dabbled but are not happy with your results and are achieving the dreaded mud, perhaps it’s time for a reboot.
- Six classes, bi-weekly on Tuesdays: September 10 & 24, October 8 & 22, November 5 & 19, 2019
- 9 am – 12 pm
- At Moncion’s YIG, 685 River Rd at Earl Armstrong Rd. It’s a beautiful bright and spacious room, with big windows and a tilted overhead mirror to observe demonstrations.
- Artists are responsible for their own supplies and materials. A suggested course supply list will be provided at a later date.
- Fee is $150 for the entire six classes.
- Payment must be made in advance to secure your spot. There will be a limit of 15 spots available.
- Payment by PayPal (with your PayPal account or major credit card).
- If you prefer not to pay with PayPal please contact me via email to discuss alternate arrangements.
- The fine print:
- Deadline to withdraw from course is August 10, with full refund of registration.
- No refund of registration after August 10.
- No refund on missed classes.
- In the event a class is cancelled due to severe inclement weather or instructor illness, classes will either be rescheduled or refunded ($25/class) at the discretion of the instructor.
About Vic Dohar the Instructor
Vic has over 20 years of watercolour experience, has given lectures and taught workshops on various art topics. He is an active member of various regional art associations, and a Fellow with the Ottawa Watercolour Society since 2009.
“Vic provided a very detailed and extensive course in a supportive atmosphere. I enjoyed learning multiple new techniques from him.
I would recommend taking courses from Vic,
he is a skilled teacher.” [PM]
“This has been a wonderful experience. Vic, you have been an excellent teacher.” [RS]
“Vic is a gentle teacher who demonstrates a variety of techniques while allowing his students space to apply them in their own way.” [KH]